Hello everyone, I am Ashish Arora and in this article of mine I will be discussing with you the benefits of turnips..
Turnip is essentially a root vegetable that is a member of the Cruciferae family. This vegetable is usually grown in regions that experience temperate climates. It roughly resembles the size of an apple. The small and tender varieties are for human consumption while the bigger ones are kept for feeding livestock. The turnips are usually white in color from the bottom till halfway and become light purple, red or green according to the sunlight that has fallen on them, till the top. The leaves of the turnip are also edible and are eaten as turnip greens.
Turnip greens are more nutrition dense than the root. The greens provide an excellent source of vitamins A, B6, C, E, folic acid, calcium, copper, fiber, and manganese.
Nutrient Content: per 100g
Vitamin A: 381 µg
Vitamin C: 27mg.
Vitamin K: 368 µg
Folate: 118 µg
Other nutrient content of turnips: vitamin B6, folate, calcium, potassium and copper.
A single one cup serving of turnip greens will contain a mere twenty-eight calories but will supply a multitude of vitamins and minerals within it
Health benefits of turnips are as follows....
1. High quantity of Vitamin C and anti-oxidants help curb free radicals and destructive oxidation reactions
2. Turnips lower the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancers of the stomach, pancreas, bladder, and lung diseases.
3. Turnip prevents and heals up a wide range of health problems because of high nutrient content.
4. Turnips are very rich source of calcium, phosphor, folic acid and magnesium, essential for all-round development of human body.
5. Turnips help prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease due to large amount of lutein.
6. Turnip has insoluble fiber that can protect against atherosclerosis.
7. Turnip greens are rich in beta-carotene that can relieve rheumatoid arthritis and other degenerative diseases.
8. Turnips, like other vegetables, are poor in calories. It can be part of a diet menu. Moreover they have diuretic properties.
9. Turnip is high in vitamin C (11 mg for 100 g of turnip and 30 mg for 100 g of turnip greens). Vitamin C has a powerful antioxidant, meaning that this vitamin quenches free radicals and neutralizes destructive oxidation reactions.
10. Vitamin C also promotes the absorption of iron. Turnip is therefore an interesting vegetable for vegetarian since they always strive to meet their need in this mineral.
11. Turnips are also a good source of calcium, phosphor and magnesium.
12. Turnip greens provide larger amounts of vitamins and minerals and are especially rich in folic acid. This vitamin is essential for the normal growth and maintenance of all cells and vital for the reproduction of those cells within the fetus.
13. Consumption of turnips is especially beneficial for people suffering for asthma. It could reduce wheezing in asthma patients.
14. Turnip greens are particularly effective in promoting lung function.
15. Lung damage caused by exposure to tobacco smoke could be reduced by consumption of vitamin A rich foods, turnips greens being one of them.
16. The nutrients present in turnip and turnip greens could prevent cancers. Leafy green vegetables are found to be effective in reducing the risk of lung, stomach, pancreas, bladder and colon cancers.
17. Turnip greens can help in colon cleansing. Colon tumors could be treated by intake of vitamin A, C and E, found abundantly in turnip and greens.
18. Beta-carotene, vitamins C and E, and calcium present in turnip and turnip greens are beneficial for people suffering from arthritis. Connective tissues of the joint damaged by rheumatoid arthritis could be cured by intake of copper, which is also present in turnip greens.
19. Turnips, like other vegetables, have a high quantity of insoluble fiber, and this is good for cardiac health.
20. Those who eat more of vitamin C rich vegetables like turnips, are less likely to suffer from bruising.
21. Turnips are rich in flavonoids, which are good for maintaining the structure of capillaries.
22. Turnips are low in calories and a good vegetable for those who want to remain fit and healthy.
23. Turnips are said to control and reduce the risk of cancers of the lung, bladder, pancreas and the stomach. It also decreases the chances of diabetes, hypertension and obesity.
24. Anti-inflammatory Benefits-As an excellent source of vitamin K and a good source of omega-3 fatty acids (in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA), turnip greens provide us with two hallmark anti-inflammatory nutrients.
25. Turnip packs over the chest are good for relieving bronchial disorders and packs over the throat are good for sore throats
Lutein is a naturally occurring cartenoid which is found in turnip. Lutein is concentrated in the retinas of the eyes and is necessary for good vision. Consuming regular amounts of lutein can lower the risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.
26. Turnip leaves are considered good for controlling calcium in the body, as are all other greens. They have been used successfully in the South to combat pellagra, which is a disease caused by lack of calcium in the body.
Since turnip greens contain a certain amount of oxalates, its regular consumption should be avoided by people who have existing or untreated kidney or gall bladder problems. The main mechanism behind this is that concentration of oxalates in the body can lead to their crystallization and the subsequent development of health problems. Oxalates can also interfere with the absorption of calcium by the body.
Who would have thought the humble turnip could be such a super food.
Brighten the Nutritional Quality of Your Diet with a Daily Dose of turnips
I hope this research of mine will help you in many ways in your daily life
Author Brief Dr. Ashish arora is a consultant homoeopathic physician who is known amongst his patients for his politeness and his counseling skills. Other than the medical profession Dr. Ashish is very passionate for pencil sketching and photography