I, Neerja Bhatnagar welcome all of you to my article the benefits of raisins.
Raisins are also known as nature's candy.
Raisins were produced in Persia and Egypt as early as 2,000 BC, with one of their first mentions being in the Old Testament.
Raisins are basically grapes that are sundried or oven dried .
Organic raisins are made after almost two to three weeks of continuous exposure of grapes to sun.
Raisins are the delicacies which are very common in use and a popular throughout the world.
The Indian name of Raisins is monukka . These are golden,green or black in color.
The other common names of raisins used worldwide are Sultana, Malaga, Zante Currant, Muscat and Thompson seedless.
The raisins are favorites to everybody especially the children who just love to have this as a snack.
These are available throughout the year and can be stored for months which never go bad.
California is the largest producer of raisins.
In addition to California, Australia, Turkey, Greece, Iran and Chile are among the leading commercial producers of raisins.
Raisins do not contain any preservatives. The natural sugar only acts as a preservative in them.
It is found that in case of improper storage sometimes the raisins become dry. So they should be washed in water to gain moisture and make them eatable.
Raisins act as a good source of vitamins and minerals including vitamin B, calcium, potassium and iron.
Raisins are indispensible due to their nutritional value and the benefits which they provide to the mankind. They are one of the most nutritious dried fruits in the world.
1. Raisins are added to all homemade sweet dishes. They are also sprinkled over any breakfast, cereal and any delicacy to be served.
2. Raisins provide a remedy to improve bowl movement and help to relieve the constipation.
3. Consumption of raisins helps in gaining weight as they have sugar like fructose and glucose.
4. Athletes and bodybuilders often consume it to gain instant energy.
5. If raisins are taken along with normal diet it provides vitamins. Amino acid, minerals which helps to facilitate absorption of other nutrients and proteins in the body.
6. Presence of potassium (K) and magnesium (Mg) in raisins makes it an ant-acid which helps to check acidity in the body.
7. Raisins being rich source of Iron are helpful anemic patients.
8. Many members of vitamin B complex are present in raisins which helps the body in formation of red blood cells (RBC).
9. Raisins help in curing fever, as it has the property to fight against the viral and bacterial infections.
10. Raisins stimulate libido and induce arousal due to presence of an amino acid called arginine.
11. Raisins help to fight against osteoporosis.
12. The presence of boron helps the body in the formation of bone as a result of calcium absorption.
13. Raisins have a germicidal, antibiotic and oxidant properties hence helps to fight against the seasonal diseases effectively.
14. .Raisins are helpful in eye care too. It helps to fight against diseases cataract and weakening of vision as it is a rich source of vitamin A, Beta carotene and A-caritonoid.
15. Raisins protect teeth and gums due to the presence of oleanolic acid Ė a phytochemical agent present in it.
16. The presence of boron helps to check the growth of germs in the mouth and helps oral hygiene.
17. The regular intake of raisins is very useful to prevent the tumor and cancer of colons.
18. Fibers present in raisins help the body in proper excretion of bile juice .
19. The antioxidant property of raisin helps to keep the body clean and flowing.
20. The raisin fibers help in burning cholesterol of the body thereby ensuring a healthy heart.
21. Raisins give us immunity to its best.
22. Raisins are valuable during period of recovery.
23. The antioxidant property of raisins helps to protect our body against free radicles.
24. Raisins are rich in tartaric which promote proper digestion in our body.
25. Raisins are low in sodium and totally fat-free.
26. Raisins help to cure cold and cough.
27. It helps to improve the concentration hence very useful to all ages especially children.
28. It helps to reduce irritability.
29. Regular consumption of raisins helps the person to overcome fatigue.
30. Raisins can help prevent macular degeneration, an age-related progressive disease of the retina.
31. The juice soaked or stewed raisins have been found to be a good remedy for sore throat and asthma.
32. Raisins are beneficial for increasing the bone density.
33. In women, the minerals in raisins in conjunction with estrogen makes the bones stronger.
34. Raisins are very rich in antioxidants which generally prevent pre-ageing.
Raisins are a great addition to homemade snacks or trail mix or can be sprinkled over any breakfast cereal, hot or cold which is liked by children as well as adults.
I hope this article must have helped you to appreciate raisins as a convenient high energy low fat snack for daily consumption.
I take a leave hereby wishing you a good healthy raisin full sweetness in life.
Authorís profile- Ms. Neerja Bhatnagar is an environmentalist, a lecturer, a social worker, a classical dancer and a soft-skill trainer/ consultant. She is a recipient of various academics and literary accolades including Presidentís Gold Medal and Directors Silver Medals at university level. Travelling and good music are her passion. Presently she is engaged in pursuing an advanced diploma in counseling and guidance.