Hello, I am Thankam Scott and I am happy to write this article about the 27 benefits of Parsley.
The word brings to my memory the vendor with his pushcart arranging all the vegetables for the day’s sale. I see him stalled in a corner during my morning walks. He is the only person who sells some of the exotic vegetables which are not easily available in this part of our country. One day, I was fascinated by the cute little curly green leaves which I came to know was Parsley. I was taken aback to know it is Rs 400/- for one Kg. I managed to get a few sprigs of it. The aroma of it was very strong and enchanting. I always yearn to get more of it. Later, I was surprised to know my friend has it in a pot in her roof top garden.
Parsley is a great culinary herb because of its high food values and therapeutic benefits. Though less understood, the benefits of parsley are many.
1. Parsley is rich in Vitamin C (166mg per100g) and Iron (5.5mg per100g). Vitamin C helps in the absorption or Iron. So its consumption builds up the blood.
2. It is excellent in building up the blood vessels, specially capillaries and arterioles, maintaining their elasticity and healing of wounds. It is also useful in the treatment of Anemia. It’s a good blood purifier.
3. The Vitamin A content of Parsley is good for eyes. It strengthens the optic nerves.
4. Parsley is good for the treatment of the ailments of Kidneys and bladder, Kidney stones and urine retention. Strong Parsley tea has to be taken continuously. (Half to one cup hourly).
5. Parsley is rich in Vitamin K, which is very good for bone health.
6. Parsley helps in the functioning of glands. It helps in reducing swollen and enlarged glands. It provides support for all the glands like liver, spleen, adrenals, etc.
7. Parsley root and seeds can be used to relieve pain from stiff joints. Stiff fingers can be brought to action with the use of Parsley root tea.
8. Diarrhea can be healed by drinking Parsley tea.
9. Parsley is rich in enzymes. This helps in the digestion of fats and proteins. It promotes food absorption, assimilation, storage and even elimination.
10. As it is a diuretic, it is used in the treatment of edema and during weight loss.
11. Parsley can be used in treating deafness and ear infections.
12. Parsley has 20 percent of protein which is equivalent to mushrooms
13. It boosts immune system. The vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin B12, chlorophyll and essential fatty acids in Parsley put it in the category of plants which have immune enhancing multivitamin and mineral complex.
14. The volatile fatty acids present in Parsley help in balancing the hormones in the body.
15. Myristicin, the volatile oil found in Parsley, inhibits the tumor formation in lungs caused by various types of smoke.
16. Folic acid, one of the B vitamins in Parsley, converts homosysteine into benign molecules, thereby, reducing the damage of blood vessels and the risk of heart attacks and strokes in people with diabetic heart disease. Folic acid helps in proper cell division and protecting the colon and in women, the cervix from cancer.
17. Parsley is helpful in conditions like ‘fastening teeth’. ‘The deficiency of vitamin C causes scurvy which makes the gums spongy and the teeth loose’.
18. Parsley in rich in fluorine. Fluorine binds with calcium to form a hard protective surface to teeth and bones. It also protects the body from germs, viruses and other infections.
19. Parsley helps in removing such factors which inhibit the functioning of vitamin B12 in the body. It has compounds which produces B12 which are needed for the formation of red blood cells and normal cell growth, important for fertility, pregnancy, immunity and the prevention of degenerative illness.
20. Chlorophyll in Parsley helps in inhibiting the spread of bacteria, fungi and other organisms. It brings relief from mucus congestion, sinusitis and other damp conditions.
21. Parsley works on Gallbladder and will remove Gall stones. One has to take a pint of the tea daily.
22. Parsley contains ‘Apiol’ which is a constituent of female sex hormone estrogen. The intake of Parsley improves the estrogen level in women nourishing the uterus. It helps in regularizing menstruation, improving PMS and menopausal symptoms, but should be avoided during pregnancy.
23. Parsley is helpful in the treatment of Gout and Jaundice.
24. During insect bites fresh Parsley can be rubbed on to get rid of the swelling and itching.
25. It works on the nervous system and acts as a general stimulant.
26. Parsley also contains manganese, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, innositol and sulphur.
27. Parsley has Alpha-linolenic acid which is not commonly found in our diets.
Parsley is a treasure box of nutrients. One cannot give a miss to it. We can use it in salads, on sandwiches, in soups, stews etc.
It can be used in the form of raw juice, tea, dried leaves, or even pills. Parsley juice is a herbal drink and has to be taken (50 ml at a time) thrice a day. It is best when mixed with other juices.
The use of Parsley is restricted may be due to its unavailability or high price but one can always grow it in a pot near your kitchen window. I have done so.
Now, if you see Parsley used as a garnishing when you order for food in restaurants, don’t push it aside with the waste but CONSUME it.
About the Author: Mrs. Thankam Scott is a post graduate in commerce, has done two years diploma in theology. Basically a home maker, she is also an educationist, social worker, and a counselor. Is a volunteer of YWCA. She in interested in reading, writing, creative cooking, gardening, and stitching. Has participated in green food program and is actively practicing it.