Hi, this is Thankam Scott and I am happy to share 27 benefits of Oregano through this article.
“Mom, where is the oregano? “, my girls call out as soon as I place the hot pizza on the dining table. Oregano is called the pizza herb or one can say, world has come to know oregano through pizzas even though nobody knows its value. I can say it’s a wonder herb because of its benefits for human health.
Oreganom Marjoram is used in cooking. Oreganom Vulgare is the wild oregano used for making oil. The two compounds that are responsible for the many benefits are carvacrol and thymol. Both these compounds can inhibit the growth of bacteria, virus and fungi which is the main cause of diseases in humans.
The benefits of oregano are as follows:
1. Fresh oregano can be added to salads and is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. It is a good source of iron, manganese, calcium, vitamin C and vitamin A.
2. Oil of oregano when applied topically can help in treating skin infections and itchy skin because of its strong antiviral and antibacterial properties. The oil has to be applied after diluting it.
3. The high content of thymol and carvacrol in oregano help in calming upset stomachs and indigestion. Mix 2 to 3 drops of oil to a glass of juice, milk or water for quick remedy for indigestion, flatulence and bloating. It provides digestion by secreting more digestive juices.
4. Oregano is a good source of fiber. It binds bile salts and cancer causing toxins in the colon, leading to their removal from the body. This causes the breakdown of cholesterol in the body to make more bile salts. So regular intake of oregano will reduce the cholesterol level and the chances of occurrence of colon cancer.
5. Oregano contains phyto nutrients such as thymol and rosmarinic acid which makes it a strong anti-oxidant. The free radical fighting properties of oregano is more than that of apples and even blue berries. This helps in preventing oxygen based damage to cell structures throughout the human body. This also helps slowing down ageing and protects from cancer, macular degeneration, degeneration of muscles due to ageing, wrinkles, loss of vision and hearing, nervous disorders, etc.
6. Oregano has anti parasitic properties which are helpful in digestive problems. It is very effective against the giardia parasite and superior to tinidazol which is a drug of common use in the treatment of giardiasis.
7. Oregano essential oil and its ingredients completely inhibits the growth of many food borne fungi. The oil of oregano is a potent inhibition of yeast, including Candida Albicans.
8. Diluted oregano oil eases tooth pain. It has to be rubbed gently into the aching tooth.
9. Oregano oil is also beneficial in the treatment of sinus and lung congestion. Mix 2 or 3 drops of the oil with juice and consume it regularly. Within 3 or 4 days, you will be able to see the improvement.
10. The two volatile oils present in oregano inhibit the growth of certain bacteria like Pseudomonas aeruginosa and the methicillin resistant Staphylococcus anreus.
11. The herb is considered to be quite useful for general strengthening of the immune system.
12. Oil of oregano is of great help to heal ear infections.
13. Diluted oregano oil can be applied on the temples to remove head aches.
14. The oil is also used in shampoos and hand cleansers because of its antiseptic nature.
15. Oregano can be used in food preservation due to its anti microbial activity against food borne pathogens like listeria monocytogenes.
16. Oregano is an effective antidote to anthrax.
17. Oregano tea is used to ease menstrual pain. Even oregano poultice can be used to ease menstrual cramps and rheumatism.
18. Oregano tea can be used in the treatment of seasonal allergies and arthritis.
19. THE anti viral properties of oregano protect one from viral infections like cold, mumps, measles, pox and other viral diseases.
20. The anti bacterial properties of oregano help in protecting one from diseases caused by bacteria such as infections in colon, urinary tract, etc , typhoid, cholera, sores, skin infections and even food poisoning.
21. The anti inflammatory property of oregano helps in healing any type of inflammation, internal or external, caused due to any reason.
22. The anti parasitic nature of oregano helps in removal of parasites like round worms, tape worms, etc. from intestines. When applied externally it keeps away ice, bed bugs, mosquitoes, fleas, etc.
23. The anti allergic property of the oregano oil helps calming down the hypersensitivity of the body which is caused in allergies.
24. The oil helps in regularizing menstruations and pushing away menopause. They who are suffering from obstructed menses may get a relief from this.
25. Oregano helps in the treatment of Psoriasis, Eczema, Athlete’s foot, flu, etc.
26. Research shows that it is a powerful pain killer with no side effects.
27. It is used for flavoring meat, sauces, pizzas, etc.
All these benefits should encourage you to try a hand on this.
One of the reasons for the healthy Mediterranean diet is the use of oregano.
Oregano can be used in the form of oil (2 to 3 drops in water, milk or juice), powder (which comes in pill form), dried leaves ( by making tea) and fresh leaves.
Oregano tea is prepared by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves or 3 teaspoons of fresh leaves, covered and allowed to soak for 10 minutes. After this, it can be strained and used.
Oregano can be added to tomato sauces, fried vegetables, grilled meat, etc.
It is added to the lemon olive oil sauce that accompanies many fish or meat barbecues and some casseroles.
It is a proven “super functional food”.
A word of caution is always there –not to use oregano in higher concentration as it can cause irritations of skin mucous membranes. It’s a no no for pregnant women.
As it is grown in the heights it is called the ‘Delight of the mountains ‘. It can become a delight to us too. When the soldiers returned form World War II, they made oregano popular in the US. Let us also make it popular.
About the Author: Mrs. Thankam Scott is a post graduate in commerce, has done two years diploma in theology. Basically a home maker, she is also an educationist, social worker, and a counselor. Is a volunteer of YWCA. She in interested in reading, writing, creative cooking, gardening, and stitching. Has participated in green food program and is actively practicing it.