Summer dawns and one is welcome to the world of melons. They are nature’s own provision to beat the heat.
Muskmelon belongs to the family of ‘cucurbitaceae’ , genus ‘cucumis’ and species ‘melo’. Even though it is said to have originated in Persia and Africa, now it is available in many parts of the world. There are a large number of varieties of muskmelon with different sizes, shapes and colors. There are smooth skinned and netted skinned ones. The netted skinned ones are called cantaloupes in the US. Research has helped in developing very sweet muskmelons with less seed cavity, thick flesh, good flavor and resistance to diseases.
Stated below are the benefits of muskmelon:
1. Muskmelon is a wholesome fruit and very nutritious.
2. Vitamin A is found in great amount in muskmelon. It takes care of the skin and eyes in the human body.
3. Regular intake of the fruit helps in building up the immune system.
4. Muskmelon is a juicy fruit. It is very helpful in summer for the body as it compensates the fluid and mineral loss and protects one from heat stroke.
5. The fruit has no cholesterol in it. So it is beneficial for those with high blood cholesterol.
6. Muskmelon has potassium in abundance. Potassium helps in controlling blood pressure and protects one from strokes.
7. It protects from the occurrence of kidney stones.
8. Muskmelon has lot of dietary fiber. It makes one free from constipation.
9. The fruit has good vitamin C content. This helps in preventing heart diseases.
10. The consumption of this fruit helps in protecting from bone-loss during old age.
11. Muskmelon protects the body from cancer due to the presence of beta-carotene and vitamin C in it.
12. The sugar content is very less in the fruit. So this is good for those who are conscious of weight gain.
13. Daily intake of muskmelon removes acidity and ulcer.
14. The sedative properties found in this fruit are helpful for those who are suffering from insomnia.
15. The minerals and high water content prevent urinary tract infections.
16. Muskmelons have folic acid which is very good for pregnant women for the proper development of fetuses.
17. Folic acid also helps in preventing cervical cancer and osteoporosis, and in the formation of red blood cells.
18. Muskmelon juice can help in getting the appetite back if consumed regularly
19. It rejuvenates and refreshes you removing the tiredness.
20. The dietary fiber in muskmelon helps you feel full soon. So it is a must for a weight loss program.
21. Muskmelon also acts as a mild depressant because of the presence of folic acid.
22. Muskmelon can be used as a snack at any time of the day.
23. It helps in maintaining a healthy body.
24. Muskmelon contains good amount of vitamin B.
25. It also contains minerals like sodium and magnesium along with potassium
26. Sodium is the element in the fruit which helps in maintaining the water balance in the body, promoting brain function and healing muscle cramps.
27. Muskmelon helps in improving body metabolism, preventing osteoporosis and epilepsy due to the presence of magnesium in it.
28. Before throwing away the skin, rub it on your hands and face and wash for the cooling and healing effect.
29. Niacin in muskmelon helps in the proper use of carbohydrates, and promotes cell function and growth.
30. The seeds of the muskmelon which are dried and peeled come under the category of dry fruits. One can enjoy the benefits of that too.
If you have to reap the benefits of muskmelon, you should add to your diet daily.
In summer, before leaving home for the day’s work have a glass of its juice.
It will protect you from the harmful effect of the heat.
It is better to consume after cooling it. It can make a good dessert or a fruit salad.
To make it more interesting, scoop out the pulp of muskmelon with melon scoop. Add these small balls to any other fruit juice of different color. Serve chilled. I just love it, you too will.
About the Author: Mrs. Thankam Scott is a post graduate in commerce, has done two years diploma in theology. Basically a home maker, she is also an educationist, social activist, and a counselor. Is a volunteer of YWCA. She in interested in reading, writing, creative cooking, gardening, and stitching. Has participated in green food program and is actively practicing it.