I remember a welsh rhyme that goes something like this: ďEat leeks in March and wild garlic in May, And all year after physicians may play."
My version would be Garlics make your breath stink, but Leeks donít and they keep you pink. So donít wait for the Month of May but enjoy and have them everyday.
According to the Roman emperor Nero he supposedly ate leeks everyday to make his voice stronger.
I, Donnabelle would love to unfold the benefits of Leeks that I have found after my research. Itís only been three months since my adventures with the world of leeks have begun.But today i can say I love leek soup as well as having it raw in my salad. My Vietnamese friend Hawng, introduced me to stir fried leeks with garlic ginger and soy sauce and that was yummy. I also tried it the other day with a lilttle salt and pepper and then just steamed it with a dash of butter. So good!
Iím ready to fill ya in on those nutritious benefits.So here are 20 of them.
1. It helps to lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol and I can bear witness to it as ever since I was put on these three months ago my bad cholesterol level has lowered.
2. Leeks are easier to digest than standard onions, and have laxative, antiseptic, diuretic, and anti-arthritic properties.
3. They also lower our sugar levels and ensure that the sugars are properly metabolized in our body.
4. Leeks also cause decrease in high blood pressure levels, another major factor for the occurrence of stroke and heart attack.
5. They can improve our immune system and fortify it.
6. It helps fight cancer especially colon and prostate cancer.
7. It decreases the risk of colon and prostate cancer.
8. Leeks also act as an antiseptic and help the body fight against infection and contamination.
9. Leeks contain considerable amount of folate and are good for pregnant women and during menstruation.
10.It protects against heart disease.
11.It is low in calories and is fat free so this is awesome for those interested in a great waistline.
12. It is a good source of minerals as well as Vitamin C.
13.It is a good antioxidant which helps in preventing disease and maintaining good health.
14. Leeks are a good source of calcium and as we know calcium helps maintain a healthy skeletal system taking care of our bones.
15. If taken regularly it helps to keep colds at bay.
16.It is high in fiber which helps regulate bowel function.
17. It also protects our blood vessel linings from damage.
18.It helps in supporting many health related problems like type 2 diabetes, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, and allergic airway inflammation.
19. It keeps our digestive processes running smoothly.
20. Leeks contain nutrients such as carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin which are good for the eyes and are beneficial in maintaining eye health.
I encourage you to discover the taste and health benefits of leeks, and I can guarantee that youíll be addicted soon, because thatís what the leek did to me. So hope you indulge in this wholesome vegetable.
Author's Profile: Donnabelle Philips having a BLA in psychology and music is a social worker/lay counselor ,trainer and event coordinator working with women who have been rescued from human trafficking and street children. She is passionate about her work and loves to see people develop and discover their strengths and overcome their weaknesses and focus on positive living. Her quote of Life: We make a living by what we get ,We make a life by what we give.