HONEY MONTH … In the United States of America the month September is celebrated as National Honey Month and I am Mrs.V.Manimozhi at your service to make you aware of all the benefits of Honey.
The wonderful golden liquid- Honey is the miraculous product gifted to Human race by the honeybees. From ages, Honey aside from being a tasty snack, has been used for a variety of purposes at home, in beauty aids, health-related applications. With its natural formulation, it is used as a treatment for some illnesses and as vitamin supplement. If you haven't made the switch to honey, now is the perfect time to learn more about this wonderful product.
Benefits of Honey:
1. Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and an antibiotic, bacteria simply cannot survive in honey.
2. A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears of bed wetting children.
3. A dessertspoon of honey in a mug of warm milk aids sleep and works wonders.
4. Place a dessert spoon of honey in a basin of water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin. Very effective in nasal congestion.
5. To drive away fatigue -Dissolve a dessertspoon of honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose, so it's quickly absorbed by the digestive system. Honey is a unique natural stabilizer: Ancient Greek athletes took honey for stamina before competing and as a reviver after competition.
6. Mix honey with an equal quantity of oatmeal, and apply as a face pack. Leave on for half an hour, and then wash it off. Great as a deep cleanser for acne and other unwanted blemishes.
7. Mix honey with an equal quantity of apple cider vinegar and dilute to taste with water. This is also wonderful for the joints – and promotes weight loss.
8. Mix honey with an equal quantity of olive oil, cover head with a warm towel for half an hour then shampoo. It serves as a best conditioner - Feeds hair and scalp. Your hair will never look or feel better!
9. Let a teaspoon of honey melt in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues in sore throat.
10. Honey is the best blood enricher; it controls Anemia by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey, the more minerals it contains.
11. Honey is the best preservative. If you replace the sugar in cake and cookie recipes with honey, they'll stay fresher longer due to honey's natural antibacterial properties. Reduce liquids in the mixture by about one-fifth to allow for the moisture present in the in honey.
12. Four teaspoons of honey to a baby's bottle of water is an excellent pacifier and multivitamin additive. If the baby's motions are too liquid, then reduce the honey by half a teaspoon; if too solid increase by half a teaspoon. (Caution: Don't give raw honey to babies under 1 year old; it's just too rich.) For teething, honey rubbed on a baby's gums is also a mild sedative and anesthetic.
13. Research has shown that a teaspoon of honey per day aids calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis.
14. The most long-lived people in the world are all regular users of honey. An interesting fact, yet to be explained, is that beekeepers suffer less from cancer and arthritis than any other occupational group worldwide.
15. For relief from a migraine - Use a dessertspoon of honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Sip at the start of attack, and, if necessary, repeat after another 20 minutes.
16. Dissolve honey in an equal quantity of warm water. When cooled, apply as a lotion or eye bath. This is a good remedy for conjunctivitis.
17. Combine 6 ounces (170 grams) liquid honey, 2 ounces (55 grams) glycerin and the juice of two lemons. Mix well. Bottle and cork firmly, and use as cough mixture.
18. Honey contains nutraceuticals, which are effective in removing free radicals from our body. As a result, our body immunity is improved.
19. Regular use of honey mixed with the carrot juice helps to improve the eyesight. It should be taken one hour before meals in the morning.
20. Mixture of equal quantities of honey and ginger juice is a good expectorant. It gives immediate relief in symptoms like cold, cough, sore throat, congestion of chest and runny nose.
21. Mix half a gram of black pepper powder with honey and ginger juice mixture (equal quantity). Take this mixture at least three times a day. It helps to cure asthma.
22. Take one teaspoonful of garlic juice mixed with two teaspoonful of honey. It can be taken twice a day in the morning and evening. Regular use of this mixture is beneficial for high blood pressure.
23. Take one glass of warm water and mix 1-2 teaspoonful of honey and one teaspoonful of lemon juice. Take this preparation daily before evacuation. It helps to purify the blood. It also helps to reduce fat and to clean the bowels.
24. One teaspoonful of anise powder mixed with one or two teaspoonful of honey acts a very nice tonic for the heart. It strengthens the heart muscles and improves its functions.
25. For blackheads and pimples, melt a little honey and spread it over your face. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water. This not only softens but honey is antiseptic and a good cleanser.
26. Melt a tablespoon of honey with a teaspoon of rosewater, apply this on cracked lips it is very effective.
27. Honey mixed with ground almonds makes an excellent facial cleansing scrub.
28. A tablespoon of honey whisked together with an egg white, 1 teaspoon of glycerin and about 1/4 cup of flour makes an excellent firming mask. Just smooth on the face, leave on 15 minutes, and rinse off with warm water. You will be pleased with the results.
29. Honey also makes a great moisturizing pack. Just mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons of whole milk, smooth over the face and throat, and let it do its job for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and finish splashing with cold water.
30. Honey also makes a great lotion for dry patches of skin on hands, elbows, or other parts. Just mix 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply to hands, elbows, heels of your foot, etc., and wash off after 15 minutes. Fast relief!
31. To give your hair lustrous shine, mix 1 teaspoon of honey into 4 cups of warm water. Use as a hair rinse. And if you're a blond, add the juice of 1 lemon, too.
32. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with a cup of warm water. Use it as a mouthwash. Honey cleans teeth and dentures, and kills germs in the mouth.
33. Gastro-intestinal - Honey is effective in the treatment of diarrhea and stomach upset. It promotes rehydration of the body and clears up the diarrhea, vomiting and any stomach upsets very quickly.
34. A pinch of turmeric and one teaspoon of honey in warm milk can be taken daily for children and adults who get frequent colds.
35. Honey and ginger helps in proper digestion and prevents stomach diseases. Ginger juice is made with a teaspoon of freshly squeezed juice of ginger and lime and a teaspoon of honey in hot water.
36. The nutmeg should be powdered and mixed with honey and can be taken during diarrhea. It can be given to small children also. 1 teaspoon twice or thrice can be taken.
37. One spoon of fresh honey mixed with the juice of half a lemon in a glass of lukewarm water taken first thing in the morning is very effective for constipation, hyperacidity, and obesity.
38. Honey is useful for the skin diseases. It can be applied externally for wounds, sores, and burns. It is also believed to minimize disfiguring scar.
39. Honey, turmeric, and gram flour is very good face pack. It can be applied for 15 - 20 minutes and washed off with water.
40. Honey act as a mild sedative. Take one teaspoon of honey in warm milk before going to bed.
41. Asafoetida fried in ghee and mixed with a tablespoon of honey to be taken thrice daily for excessive flow and pain full menstruation and leucorrhoea.
42. Honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity. It mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions. One should start with small quantity of about 10 grams or a tablespoon, taken with hot water early in the morning. A teaspoonful of fresh lemon juice may also be added.
43. Fever: Take 1 teaspoon of juice of basil leaves with honey twice a day.
44. Hair: Soak shredded ginger in honey. Eat a spoonful every morning for healthy hair.
45. Constipation: Take a hot glass of water with 1 teaspoon honey & juice of half a lemon first thing in the morning.
46. Arthritis: Two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed in a cup of warm water taken twice a day proves.
47. Local Burns: Wash affected area with running tap water and apply a thin layer of honey.
48. Soak gooseberries in honey for a month and eat 1 daily. This is good for General Health.
Honey is believed to have myriad medicinal qualities. It contains health-benefiting nutrients like carbohydrates, several vitamins and minerals, like vitamins B and C, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Iron. It also contains amino acids and enzymes, which help in digestion. Thus, consuming honey ensures a good supply of necessary nutrients to the body and provides instant energy.
So HONEY…..If you aren't using honey in your medicine cabinet, it is time to buy some right now. Be healthy and enjoy life.
Authors brief Biodata: I am Mrs. ManiMozhi teacher by profession. I am good at conducting Quiz competitions, compeering for school functions and Annual days. I love drawing and painting. I am a good cook. I am doing a diploma in counseling at present.