I am Dr. Ankita Thakker and today when I was sitting in my living room and sipping this refreshing cup of green tea, it dawned upon me that I should definitely come up with the benefits of green tea for all of you. Being a homeopathic doctor I have always been fond of using natural substances in my regular diet.
I always start my hectic day with a cup of green tea.
I am sure everyone has at least heard of it and you must be aware of some of benefits of the same.
Tea is one of those herbs which started as a medicine and grew famous as a beverage.
I just thought of taking some toil and listing for you the wide range of explored and not widely known benefits of this green tea so that the next time you sip it you know the potential powers of the same.
Green tea has been used by Indians and Chinese since thousands of years. The latent powers of healing and good health were discovered by our forefather’s long back. It was known as the “Elixir of immortality” in the earlier days because of its healing properties.
It is the most natural type of tea as it is made from unfermented leaves.
Rich in antioxidants called as catechin polyphenols it has served the mankind profusely since years. The antioxidant properties of polyphenols are even proved to be greater than that of vitamin C.
So with this little history lets move on to the benefits of Green Tea.
1. Weight loss: So are you on those strict diet regimes to reduce those extra pounds? If so hereby comes the powers of this amazing green tea which will help you regulate your metabolism and will reduce the fats in your body. It can be used by obese people and it is truly effective in maintaining your weight. Being perfectly natural the catechins in this tea are a major reason for burning fat.
2. Caffeine content: The caffeine content in green tea is much less than that of coffee and other teas available in market.
3. Lowers cholesterol: It is known to lower the total cholesterol and thus contributes its little bit in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
4. Diabetic benefit: Green tea is used to regulate the blood sugar in the body and thus controls diabetes significantly.
5. Cancer benefits: Green Tea being rich in polyphenols helps prevent and combat cancer by its antioxidant properties. Cancers such as breast, colorectal, ovarian, bladder, prostate, stomach and pancreas are well checked by this tea.
6. Effects on gastrointestinal system: It helps in better digestion, there by reducing flatulence. It also helps in reducing the inflammation of the digestive tract in conditions such as Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease. Problems such as heart burn are also reduced by taking green tea.
7. Anti-ageing effect: Green tea is rich in catechins which are again very powerful antioxidants which help to fight the defects caused by free radicals. Free radicals are responsible for wrinkling and premature ageing of skin and these antioxidants help to fight them leaving a glowing wrinkle free skin for you.
8. The damage done by sun in form of ultraviolet rays are also nullified by green tea.
9. Green tea being effective against cancers is also significantly used for preventing skin cancers. Add a bit of lemon and the results are fabulous.
10. It enlightens your skin not only by consuming it in beverage form but it can be applied locally to the skin as well. Many creams and lotions these days are using this in them because of its antioxidant properties.
11. The green tea leaves can be used as a scrub for exfoliation leaving a glowing skin for you.
12. The paste which is made from soaking green tea leaves in water can be used as face cleansers and can be used for soothing the strained eyes.
13. It is also used for its antiseptic properties both locally as well as when taken internally.
14. It can be used in cooling the sunburn effects as well.
15. It can be used to keep bad breath away.
16. It is also used to fight bacteria’s and thus can be used in tooth decay.
17. The antioxidants also help in lowering the risks of rheumatoid arthritis.
18. The antiviral and antibacterial properties of green tea help in saving you from infections.
19. The antioxidants also help in protecting from various allergies by suppressing the receptors which cause allergy in your body.
20. Green tea is rich in theophylline which helps in reducing the adverse effects of asthma thus making you feel better.
21. The catechins in the green tea help in maintaining healthy cartilage of bones thereby preventing arthritis.
22. Do you feel mental fatigue, stress, laziness..? If so then a brewing cup of green tea in the morning can definitely help you overcome it. The catechins make your mind sharp, fresh and therefore make you feel more active.
23. It is absolutely refreshing and relaxing so highly recommended after a hard day.
24. Age related memory loss is also prevented as it is caused by the free radicals. The free radicals are prevented by antioxidants present in green tea thereby helping in patients of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinsonism.
25. Use in HIV: By having antiseptic properties it gives immune support to the HIV patients thereby preventing them from contracting infections.
26. Green tea has proven benefits for you hair as well. Using shampoos containing green tea can give you lustrous hair and its antibacterial properties leave your scalp clean and away from infections.
27. It is recommended for male pattern baldness as it helps in reducing the levels of free testosterone.
28. It also relaxes the blood vessels and helps in better circulation.
29. The antioxidants of green tea helps in prevention of acne. The bacteria which cause acne are also prevented by the antibacterial activity caused by green tea.
30. Green tea also benefits in keeping the liver healthy from the toxic effects of substances like alcohol.
31. The social benefit is spending every morning with a loved one sharing a cup of green tea and feeling rejuvenated and fresh.
32. It can be taken hot as well as in form of iced tea which makes it a favorite amongst all age groups.
So that sums it all for me.
I think I desperately need a cup of green tea to quench my thirst and feel fresh instantly.
How about I take your leave now so that each of us can grab our cups.
Author Brief bio: Dr. Ankita Thakker is a practicing Homeopathic Consultant and is specializing in the field of psychology. She is also a Child Health Specialist, Reiki Healer, Acupressure Therapist, Clinical Research Scientist, Medical Coder and is currently working into the field of psychology.