Hi, I am Mohanadas and welcome to my article on ’33 benefits of dried plums’.
Plums or “Aloo Bhukara” is scientifically known as Prunus domestica. It is a fruit that is related to the family of peaches and cherries. It is one of those fruits that are rich in dietary fiber, which in turn proves effective in improving the digestive system.
There are thousands of varieties of plums that are available throughout the world, ranging in colors like red, blue-black, purple, yellow, green or amber. Plums are believed to have originated in Asia and since then, they have been grown all over the world. The fresh and juicy taste of the plums makes it refreshing to eat them on a hot summer day.
Plums, even their dried form known as ‘prunes’, are high in unique phytonutrients called neochlorogenic and chlorogenic acid. These substances found in dried plums are classified as phenols and their function as antioxidants has been well documented. These damage preventing substances are particularly effective in neutralizing the dangerous oxygen radical called superoxide anion radical. Dried plums are a source of important vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
Compared with other fruits they are easily available and affordable. So you can enjoy it every day. Because of the above mentioned facts it is a very important and a beneficial fruit.
Now let us go through the 33 benefits of dried plums.
1. Dried plums are high in nutritional value – Nutrition facts for 5 dried plums(40g) is as follows: Callories-110, Total fat -0g, Saturated fat-0g,
Sodium-5mg, potassium-290mg, total carbohydrates-26g, dietary fiber-2.4g, sugars 13g, protein 1g and vitamins
2. It is very good for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases – Dried plums has the highest antioxidant activity among the commonly consumed
plant foods which help prevent cardio vascular diseases.
3. The antioxidant activity in this fruit also helps to prevent tumerogenesis (cancer).
4. Dried plums have been recently shown by researchers to be effective in preventing ovarian hormone deficiency in women.
5. It has the ability to lower the cholesterol: HMG-Co A reductase is an enzyme involved in the production of cholesterol by the liver. The propionic
acid present in this fruit inhibits this enzyme and helps lower blood cholesterol levels.
6. Dried plum is a good source of Vit. A in the form of beta-carotene. It acts as a fat soluble antioxidant eliminating free radicals that would
otherwise cause a lot of damage to our cells and cell membranes.
7. Beta-carotene shuts down free radicals and thus prevents atherosclerosis.
8. It prevents colon cancer.
9. It reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
10. It prevents the damage of cellular DNA thereby preventing mutations due to the presence of polyphenols which are strong antioxidants.
11. Dried plums maintain normal blood pressure and functioning of heart due to the presence of potassium.
12. It helps to promote bone health because of potassium which counteracts the increased urinary calcium loss, thus helping to prevent bones
13. Dried plums are widely known as a good source of dietary fiber.
14. The soluble fiber in dried plums keeps the blood sugar level normal by delaying the absorption of glucose.
15. It help prevent overeating and weight gain by slowing the rate at which food leave the stomach.
16. Prunes and prune juice are well known for their ability to prevent constipation.
17. It decreases the transit time of fecal matter thereby decreasing the risk of colon cancer and hemorrhoids.
18. Its soluble fibre also provides food for the friendly bacteria in the large intestine. These bacteria ferment prunes in soluble fibre and forms
butyric acid which serves as the primary fuel for the cells of the large intestine and helps maintain a healthy colon.
19. It reduces the risk of breast cancer.
20. It increases absorption of iron into the body due to the Vit. C content.
21. Dried plums help in maintaining healthy digestion.
22. It regulates the heart beat.
23. Regular consumption of plums can prevent macular degeneration and any other infection of the eye, in the long run. Your eyes will be healthy
and strong for long time and you can also retain a sharp eye-sight.
24. It helps to slow ageing process of the brain and the body.
25. It increases vitality.
26. Drink made with sour prune is thought to have positive effects on acidity in the body.
27. It is a good remedy for sore throat.
28. It helps in normal blood circulation.
29. Being a good source of Vit. A and beta carotene it enhances the eye sight, fight against acne and result in smooth radiant skin.
30. It keeps our muscles and nerves active.
31. It is a good source of magnesium which helps in relieving fatigue, relaxing the muscles, nerves and blood vessels, thus relieving the
symptoms of asthma, migraine headaches, tension and soreness in muscles.
32. It is a good source of copper which reduces the risk of inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, enhances the activity of enzymes that
are needed to maintain the elasticity of blood vessels, ligaments and joints.
33. It is a good sources of iron which helps in respiration at the cellular levels by synthesizing haemoglobin that helps to carry oxygen to cells.
Being a dried fruit you may never have expected this much benefits. So try to enjoy this dried one which is easily available and cheap also.
The dried plums are delicious and can be used as a snack and the good news is that they require no refrigeration. So you can carry them with you wherever you go as a sweet treat.
Author Brief Bio --- Mr. Mohanadas is an administrator, teacher, environmentalist and a social worker. He has established a few educational institutions. Presently working as the Head of a Middle School. Side-by-side he is pursuing “Advanced Diploma Course in Counseling and Guidance”. He is interested to work for the upliftment of the poor and the downtrodden. His main hobbies are reading and gardening.