Most berries and fruits are considered "super foods" thanks to antioxidant levels, as well as phytonutrients. Currants are berries which are a concentrated source of calories, sugar, and nutrients. They supply a healthy amount of dietary fiber (both soluble and insoluble), iron, potassium, and B vitamins.
Currants are of three types Red, white and black. Redcurrants are typically sour in taste. The blackcurrant is sweeter in taste. Black currants lead both the red and white types in nutritional value. In this article we will enumerate the benefits of black currant.
Black currant berries could easily be crowned the super food among super with extremely high levels of vitamins, fibre and other elements that are beneficial to people's overall health. The plant has both berries and leaves that can be harvested and used to restore and maintain health.
Black currants can be taken in form of fruit, juice or tea. The fruit can also be compressed to extract oil. All of them have innumerable benefits. A few of them are as follows.
1. Black currants contain twice the antioxidants of blueberries (another "super food"), four times more vitamin C than oranges and twice the potassium of bananas.
2. Some of the health benefits provided by the nutritional content of black currants include improved kidney function and reduction in vascular inflammation.
3. Blackcurrant is jam-packed with not just vitamin C but anti-oxidant compounds that may aid in the prevention of developing dementia. Derivatives from the British blackcurrant are now being formulated into treatments for Alzheimerís disease.
4. Blackcurrants can be used as a household remedy for minor ailments; they can be a useful remedy for diarrhoea, tonsillitis, whooping cough and gum disease.
5. Blackcurrants are also used in numerous food preparations, in the form of syrup, jelly, jam, fruit jelly, marmalade etc.
6. Blackcurrants are used to flavour various medicines and throat lozenges.
7. A diet rich in black currants proves to be helpful against rheumatism, arthritis and gout.
8. Blackcurrants are extremely helpful to women going through menopause. It helps with a range of problems, from water retention to headaches. It also promotes calmness.
9. It is hard to find a condition that black currants can't help. It maximizes liver, kidney and even pancreatic function.
10. Black currant has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, they have the similar effect as of ibuprofen or aspirin.
11. Black currant can help stimulate the digestive processes.
12. Black currant seeds are rich in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It is therefore beneficial in maintaining cardiovascular health and helps improve your skin and hair texture.
13. The fruit cleans the blood of toxins, wastes and cholesterol.
14. When dried, currants are valuable in combating anaemia, since they contain iron, copper, and manganese. They have an alkaline reaction and work as a laxative in the body.
15. Black currants are used in cooking because their astringency creates flavor in many sauces, meat dishes and desserts.
16. Black currant juice is extremely high in both vitamins C and A, and contains more vitamin C than any other commercially produced fruit or vegetable. Drinking black currant juice is a healthy way to improve your antioxidant intake and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
17. Diluted and sweetened black currants juice is a refreshing beverage and a good addition to cocktail drinks.
18. When taken as a beverage, black currant tea has a number of health benefits and is an excellent alternative for those trying to stop using caffeinated beverages. Over time, caffeine can cause heartburn, nervousness and sleep problems.
19. Those that use currants, often in black currant tea, often feel better, neither overly stimulated nor tired. Their moods are more even and they have steady energy levels through the day. (Prepare black currant tea by boiling 2 teaspoons of black currant leaves in 250 ml of water)
20. Black currant tea promotes a sense of calm and well-being, helps the digestive system and adds vitamins and antioxidants to the body.
21. Black currant oil consists of oil pressed from black currant seeds. It can be bought in supplement capsules or in liquid form. The oil is effective for treating a wide variety of disorders, including Candida, fatigue, high blood pressure, pain and inflammation and skin problems.
22. Black currants seeds oil is much appreciated because it is a source of gamma-linoleic acid, a rare essential fatty acid. Fatty acids, which are found in black currant fruits, are implicated in many body functions such as maintaining temperature, insulating nerves, creating energy and protecting tissues. It boosts the immune system and aids in cardiovascular disorders.
23. Black currant oil contains anthocyanins (a component that gives colour to the black currants), which are a type of antioxidants. These antioxidants reduce the effect of the free radicals in the body.
24. This oil also has anti inflammatory properties which helps in treating the pain and swelling caused due to rheumatoid arthritis.
25. Using this oil aids in boosting the immune system of the body. It also helps in the production of prostaglandin, a hormone which controls blood pressure and inflammation.
26. With the regular use of black currant oil, the signs of aging can be reduced, since it is said to have certain anti aging properties.
27. Black currant oil reduces the constriction of blood vessels, keeps a check on the level of cholesterol, thus reducing the chances of heart diseases.
28. Black currant seeds oil is also anti viral in nature thus preventing viral infections like influenza. It also curbs the spread of this harmful virus.
29. Certain studies have proved that this oil helps prevent the onset of cancer by controlling the unnecessary growth of cells.
Now, that we know how beneficial this fruit is, we must incorporate it in our diet. So enjoy it as a fruit, as a beverage or use it in form of oil.
Authorís profile: The writer is a HR professional whose passion in life is to help others. She has been a Software professional and a Sales executive . She has also been a student counsellor where she found maximum satisfaction and decided to follow this field. She has been instrumental in getting aid for several underprivileged children and wishes to work for children in future especially the deprived ones.