Hi friends, this is Latika Bhojwani…This article is based on my research on Health Benefits of Cucumbers…
This article also includes notable skin benefits of Cucumbers too…
So here I go…
Cucumber is a very edible vegetable which comes from the cucumber plant Cucumis Sativus. It has a dark green rind and white succulent flesh.
Cucumber is a highly recommended food item that is rich in nutrition. It contains almost all the essential elements needed for the preservation of health. There are several varieties of cucumber which differ in shape, size and color.
Cucumber is a precious ally for an enviable figure and for the detoxification cures.
There are generally three types of Cucumbers
1. Traditional cucumber is dumpy and covered with small roughness.
2. Long Cucumber, is straight, has smooth skin and without bitter taste and is found in any supermarket. The way its grown keeps it safe from predators and diseases and allows the limitation of treatment products.
3. Mini-cucumber is mainly used for pickles.
Nutritionally, the cucumber has a relatively high mineral content. Its skin is most valuable as the cell salts and vitamins are in and near it. Hence it should not be peeled.
It is also a valuable source of potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur, silicon, chlorine and fluorine. The cucumber taken with vegetables, cereals, fruits, nuts and salads enhances the nutritional value of food items.
Healing Benefits of Cucumber
1. The cucumber is a dependable laxative food. It supplies bulk to aid bowel action. Those who suffer from constipation can greatly benefit by taking two cucumbers a day.
2. Cucumber is a valuable food medicine in the treatment of hyperacidity, gastric and duodenal ulcers. It should be taken in doses of four to six ounces every two hours in such conditions. Cucumber contains 96 per cent water. It gives immediate relief when there is a burning sensation in the stomach.
3. Consumption of cucumber has a very beneficial effect in the conditions associated with accumulation of uric acid such as arthritis, gout and rheumatism.
4. Cucumber seeds are rich in potassium. Emulsion of the shelled seeds has been found highly beneficial in the treatment of burning sensation in urinary calculi or stone in persons who are predisposed to such disorders.
5. Cucumber is a medicine during cholera. It acts excellently by restoring the electrolyte liquid balance in dehydration.
6. Consuming cucumber protects the body from kidney and urinary bladder disease, liver disease and pancreatic disease.
7. The potassium content of cucumber makes it highly useful for conditions of high and low blood pressure.
8. Cucumber contains erepsin, the enzyme that helps to digest protein.
9. Cucumber is also valuable for fighting against diseases of the teeth, gums, especially in cases of pyorrhea.
10. Many specialists recommend cucumber to treat diabetes.
11. Consumption of cucumber stimulates metabolism rate.
12. Cucumber helps in cooling down body temperature as it contains fibre and fluids which are helpful in increasing fibre and water intake.
13. Consumption of cucumber helps in relieving the body from any kind of pain.
14. Cucumbers are excellent sources of silica a mineral that contributes in the proper building of connective tissues in human body. This connective tissue helps in the formation of bones, cartilage, muscles, tendons and ligaments.
15. Consuming raw cucumber helps in increasing stamina.
16. Content of phosphorus, vitamin C and foliate acid in cucumber benefit to facilitate urination and relieve tension or anti-stress.
17. Vitamin C in cucumber boosts the immune system.
18. Cucumber contains pantothenic acid which functions to suppress the sugar and does not turn into fat and helps in reducing body weight.
19. It supplies the necessary electrolytes and restores hydration of the body cells, thus reducing water retention.
20. Cucumbers have ability to quickly, safely and easily reduce the appearance of dark circles. The abundance of anti-oxidants and silica in cucumbers rejuvenate skin and leave it feeling soft and smooth after 5 to 10 minutes of use.
21. Under eye puffiness can be also treated with the help of cucumbers. Due to large amount of ascorbic acid, cucumbers, when placed under the eyes can prevent water retention and thus reduce puffiness overall.
22. Cucumbers help in reducing freckles also. Grate cucumber and spread it on face and neck. It will reduce appearance of freckles over time.
23. Possibly most common benefit of cucumber is improvising of complexion. When cucumber is used in a face pack or mask, it leaves the skin glowing like anything.
24. It also helps in dealing with sunburns. The cooling effect of cucumber gently soothes the skin and speeds up the healing process.
25. Cucumbers are considered to be excellent toners as they tighten up the open pores in the skin and do not allow the dirt to accumulate inside the skin.
Where possible, buy organic as cucumbers may be waxed or have pesticides. If non-organic, wash cucumber under cold running water and scrub gently with a vegetable brush. It might help also to soak it for 5-10 minutes with 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
With so many nutritional and health benefits, cucumber turns out to be an ideal dietary and beauty product. Cucumber is available easily and is a relative affordable vegetable – given all the benefits of cucumber as a source of minerals and vitamins you should make a conscious effort to increase your consumption of this vegetable.
I hope after discovering such amazing benefits of cucumber, you are somehow convinced to increase the intake of this wonderful vegetable.
Author’s Brief Bio- Latika Bhojwani, is a Post Graduate in Management with Major Specialization in Marketing and Minor in Finance, presently working as a Free Lancer in a Shipping Agency, also practicing as a Reiki Healer and Tarot Card Reader. Her favorite pastime activities include Crystal Healing/Readings, Hypnosis, Reading, Travelling, Exploring Gadgets.