Hey friends this is Latika Bhojwani. This article is based on the research I have done on the nutritional benefits of Cottage Cheese.
Before undertaking a research on Cottage cheese I was under an impression that, the ones who are on strict diet, must simply zap the word Cottage Cheese from their appetite like processed cheese as they its a storehouse of calories. But believe me friends my perception was totally incorrect. So this article all in all highlights the amazing health benefits of Cottage Cheese…So here I begin...
Cottage cheese is one of the most varied and fascinating of dairy products. Its also known as ‘Paneer’ or ‘Indian cheese’ in India and ‘Tofu’ in China.
Almost one billion pounds of cottage cheese is consumed in the United States each year. It is a popular food due to its relatively low cost and perceived health benefits. Unlike other cheeses, cottage cheese is produced without being aged; this greatly reduces the cost of manufacturing and makes it a very affordable source of protein.
Its one of the most easily available cheese all through then world is cottage cheese. The soft texture and mild taste of this cheese makes it an easy food that is enjoyed by people of all age groups.
Cottage cheese is generally prepared by boiling whole cream milk and adding vinegar or lemon or curd to make the thick contents separate. When the milk coagulates, water is removed and the thick content is collected in a muslin cloth to get a block.
Cottage cheese is a treasure of nutrients. Its used in number of preparations in Indian homes and can be used in sweets, savories and in gravies of dishes too.
As its taste, Cottage Cheese has also got many HEALTH BENEFITS:
1. For vegetarians it’s a rich source of proteins. That is the main reason it is considered as a healthy food and also its low in fat as compared to other cheeses. It has been touted as beneficial for weight loss because of its high protein content.
2. It is also very low in carbohydrates, making it an excellent choice for people who are on low carbohydrate diet. People who are suffering from problems like diabetes and obesity need to consume foods which provide nutrition without adding many carbohydrates to the body. Cottage cheese is one excellent food that is low in carbohydrates and should be consumed by people suffering from many problems.
3. It is also widely available in low fat versions which are usually no more expensive than full fat cottage cheese.
4. Unlike other cheeses, natural versions of cottage cheese are available at most grocers. These include varieties of cottage cheese made from the milk of cows that have not been injected with Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH), and organic cottage cheese. This makes cottage cheese an excellent choice for those who wish to limit their consumption of additives.
5. Cottage cheese provides rich amounts of calcium to the body. Sufficient amounts of calcium helps in building bones and increasing their strength. Calcium also aids in keeping the blood pressure within normal limits. Each serving of cottage cheese contains seventy grams of calcium and is capable of fulfilling the daily dose of calcium for the body.
6. It also helps in reducing the development of insulin resistance syndrome.
7. It provides the protection against cancer.
8. It helps in preventing stomach disorders in people as they grow older.
9. It promotes strong bones and also helps to prevent and reduce back and joint problems.
10. It also aids against heart diseases as the heart patients are strongly recommended diet that is low in fat and high in proteins.
11. Its also a good source of iron.
12. It contains phytoestrogens. During menopause, when a woman's estrogen fluctuates, either by rising or dropping below normal levels. Phytoestrogens can help to maintain the balance. This can help reduce the frequency of hot flashes and their severity.
13. It’s a good source of trace mineral selenium. Selenium is very important for the proper functioning of the antioxidant system, which works to reduce
the levels of damaging free radicals in the body. By its powerful antioxidant actions, it helps to protect against prostate cancer by inhibiting cell proliferation, reduce asthma and arthritis symptoms, and in the prevention of heart disease.
14. Consumption of cottage cheese has been associated with strengthening of the immune system.
15. Even those who are lactose-intolerant can consume cottage cheese, as the bacteria present in it, breaks down the lactose before it enters the body.
16. Those suffering from vaginal infection have also been found to have benefited from cottage cheese.
17. It has been found to be beneficial in case of constipation and colon cancer.
18. It is said to be helpful in treating inflammatory bowel disease.
19. It helps us feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack if we are trying to lose weight.
20. It increases capacity to absorb nutrients and minerals from other food stuffs.
21. It also helps in minimizing risk of high blood pressure.
I hope my research must have amazed you all like me. So if you have realized the healthy nutritional benefits of Cottage Cheese , then just make it a rule to include it in to your regular diet in moderate quantity.
Hope you will enjoy eating healthy benefits of Cottage cheese…
Author’s Brief Bio- Latika Bhojwani, is a Post Graduate in Management with Major Specialization in Marketing and Minor in Finance, presently working as a Free Lancer in a Shipping Agency, also practicing as a Reiki Healer and Tarot Card Reader. Her favorite pastime activities include Crystal Healing/Readings, Hypnosis, Reading, Travelling, Exploring Gadgets.