Hello everybody. I am Akshaya Kawle, and this time I am about to explore the benefits of one of the most exotic drinks around the world, COFFEE.
In today’s world, when everything is so fast moving, everyone looks in for quick refreshment. And to most people, the solace is found in a cup of coffee. Be it steaming hot, or a nice cold shake, it calls for a quick stress buster for a lot of people all over the world.
Coffee is a drink which is brewed from coffee beans of the coffee plants. These plants are grown in over 70 countries around the world. However, some of the most famous places for coffee beans and brewing are Brazil, Columbia, Costa Rica etc.
Coffee is believed to be discovered in Ethiopia, and then spread to the Arab world. As days passed, and more people got engaged in the taste of coffee, it spread to the other parts of the world. This led to the boost in the coffee cultivations around the globe.
There is a common belief amongst people that drinking coffee can be injurious to health. However research has proved that consuming proper amount of coffee (2 to 3 regular cup size a day) can prove to be very beneficial to our health and can keep various diseases away. It also has various beauty benefits!
The following are some of the benefits of coffee:
1. Caffeine is the key ingredient in coffee. Research has showed that caffeine is responsible for enhanced and improved mental performance. This also leads to better levels of attention and enhances the attention spans for longer periods.
2. Coffee reduces the risks of liver cirrhosis, as well as certain types of cancers, if consumed in proper amounts daily. This is because of the antioxidants in coffee.
3. The presence of antioxidants in coffee help in making our immune system stronger.
4. The anti oxidants also help in enhancing the blood circulation in our body.
5. Caffeine is an excellent stimulator. Therefore it helps you reduce your stress levels. It also helps reducing tensions and headaches.
6. Coffee also helps in reducing the risks of Parkinson’s disease. Research and studies have showed that, as compared to the non coffee drinkers, people who drink coffee, no more than 2 to 3 regular cups a day, have a lower risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.
7. Coffee reduces muscle and joint pain. It can reduce muscle soreness more effectively than pain killers!
8. A cup of coffee a day can help to fight heart attacks, strokes, diseases and other heart related problems. It also makes you more alert and cheerful.
9. Coffee can help you reduce the risks of Alzheimer’s disease. Research has shown that consuming coffee in proper amounts can sharpen your memory!
10. Coffee also helps in enhancing your short term memory, thanks to the caffeine’s stimulant effects.
11. Antioxidants In coffee are also said to help in reducing the risk of diabetes. So consuming your favorite beverage, in proper amount, can actually help you fight your sugar problems!
12. One of the components of coffee is theophylline. This is useful for relieving pain in people suffering from Asthma. Coffee is also said to have a controlling effect on asthma.
13. Coffee is also known to boost athleticism in people. Many athletes are therefore advised to consume coffee in controlled quantities.
14. Recent research has also shown that coffee drinkers have a lower risk of gallstones. It is a preventive cure for people having symptoms of gallstones.
15. The flavonoids or the antioxidants in coffee help people fight with their migraine problems. So next time you get that migraine attack, drop those pills and grab a cup of coffee.
16. Coffee is considered as the 2nd most effective Aphrodisiac, after chocolate. Aphrodisiac is a substance that increases sexual desire. So the next time you notice your partner losing interest in love making, make sure you serve him/her some nice hot coffee.
17. Coffee can help fight cavities, especially roasted coffee. Roasted coffee has some antibacterial properties which help fight against dental cavities. However for this, you may need to skip the milk and sugar with your coffee!
18. Coffee can help in increasing the driving performance at night and decreasing the onset of sleepiness. So the next time you feel like going for a long drive in the night, just sip on some coffee before you sit on the driver’s seat!
19. A cup of coffee first thing in the morning can contribute to the daily fluid intake, keeping us hydrated. This is necessary for one’s health and well being.
20. Drinking a cup of coffee before you work out increases your energy levels and thus enables you accomplish more.
21. Coffee increases ones cognitive ability. Studies have shown that coffee drinkers score high on cognitive tests, IQ tests, short term memory studies etc. This is more relevant to elderly study participants and women. So all you women coffee drinkers out there, next time your male counterparts call you dumb, make sure you put this one out to them.
22. Coffee also helps in reducing the risks of Gouts. Gouts is a medical condition, where the affected person suffers from recurrent attacks of inflammatory arthritis (red, tender, hot, swollen joint)
23. The antioxidants in coffee have an anti aging effect. So it helps you look younger.
24. The caffeine from coffee acts as a blood vessel constrictor. This helps in reducing dark circles around the eyes, and also puffiness around the eyes.
25. Coffee also helps in reducing cellulite. This is the reason why a lot of cosmetic companies today are increasingly using coffee as an ingredient in their anti cellulite creams.
26. The anti oxidants in coffee also help in neutralizing the chemicals responsible for hair damage or breakage. However care needs to be taken while applying coffee directly onto processed or coloured hair, as it can lead to further damage. Instead brewed expresso can be used to rinse hair to reap the benefits.
27. The coffee beans contain magnesium and vitamin E, which is great for your skin. Coffee has anti bacterial, exfoliating, and stimulating properties. Thus it can be used as face or body scrubs for a glowing skin.
28. Coffee can also help smooth out the wrinkles and discolouration of skin.
29. It may also help in enhancing skin smoothness.
30. And finally, it serves as a great beverage. Its delighting aroma can lift up your mood within minutes.
I am sure you must be delighted to know the many benefits your favourite cup of beverage can provide you every day. But remember, too much of anything is too much, even in the case of a ‘health drink’. Drinking too much coffee can actually damage your body, in certain cases, the benefits could turn into disadvantages, like having too much of coffee can increase your blood pressure, which in turn risks your heart.
So what looks like a benefit of coffee, when consumed in controlled quantities, can turn to be a hazard when you have many such cups of coffee every day.
Enjoy your favourite coffee, do not think twice. But make sure you have just enough to keep it enjoyable always!
Authors Brief Bio: Akshaya Kawle is a Bachelor of Arts with Political Science Majors, is currently pursuing her MBA (HR), and is a professional swimmer, and dancer. A keen learner, she is also pursuing a course on Counseling and Graphology. When not working on her various hobbies like driving, interacting with people, and spending time with family and her pets, she volunteers for an NGO for stray animals.