Hey friends! I Latika Bhojwani, hereby present to you an amazing article on Benefits of Brown Rice.
Brown Rice is considered to be every weight watcher’s dream food.
Nutritionists and dieticians are now increasingly recommending brown rice as an excellent source of all-round nutrition.
Brown rice is basically unmilled or partially milled or non-polished rice. It is produced by hand pounding using mortar and pestle or stone grinder. All types of rice are originally brown rice before they are processed into white rice. The removal of only the outermost layer (husk) of rice grains produces brown rice. When the next layers underneath the husk (the bran and the germ) are removed, the remaining starchy endosperm produces the white rice.This process strips out several of the nutrients, dietary minerals and almost all of the rice fiber.
It is a kind of whole grain. It bears a mild nutty flavor. Brown rice is a complex carbohydrate that provides 15 essential nutrients, including B-vitamins, niacin and potassium. In the olden days, paddy used to be hand pounded and winnowed to remove the husk and consumed as such. Polishing removes the layer that is filled with health-supportive, essential fats that make rice highly susceptible to oxidation. Though this extends the shelf life of the product, the resulting white rice is simply a refined starch that is largely deprived of its original nutrients. But brown rice retains all the nutrients that nature bestowed it with.
Types of Brown Rice
1. Fully unpolished - is when the entire bran layer is not removed, the color of the rice is very brown.
2. Partially unpolished - only part of the bran is removed, the color of the rice is light brown.
Nutritional Profile of Brown Rice
Brown rice is an excellent source of magnesium, iron, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, silica, selenium, manganese, Vitamin K ,B1, B2, B3, and B6. Brown rice is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, and gamma-oryzanol. White rice is brown rice that has had essential nutrients removed when processed in order to make it easier and faster to cook, and to give it a longer shelf life. This is accomplished by removing the bran, and with it, minerals and vitamins that are necessary in our diet.
HEALTH BENEFITIS OF BROWN RICE
1. Brown rice is rich in manganese that helps to keep our bones healthy and strong.
2. It also helps to synthesize fatty acids and cholesterol.
3. Consumption of brown rice helps in maintaining blood sugar level of those with insulin resistance.
4. Brown rice is known to be rich in selenium which is good for the body it protects the cells from damage caused by free-radicals and abnormal thyroid functions.
5. Magnesium present in brown rice regulates proper blood circulation in the body.
6. The bran present in brown rice contains unsaponifiable compounds and other components that lower the level of LDL cholesterol.
7. Brown rice is good source of fiber that in turns helps in proper digestion and cures intestinal blockage and constipation.
8. Consumption of brown helps in reducing and maintaining body weight.
9. The manganese content in brown rice protects the body against damage from free radicals produced during energy production.
10. The selenium content in brown rice plays a critical role in the prevention of cancer.
11. There are powerful antioxidants present in brown rice that decrease the symptoms of asthma and the pain and inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis.
12. Presence of lignans is in abundance in brown rice that prevent breast and other hormonal dependent cancers.
13. Brown rice is rich in insoluble fiber that avoids gallstones in women.
14. Also increasing consumption of brown rice as whole grains in children, avoid chances of occurrence of childhood asthma.
15. Due to high mineral content , it supplies important nutrients for hair, nails, teeth, bones and muscles.
16. Consumption of brown rice helps in synthesis of fatty acids, required for healthy nervous system functioning.
17. Also the amount of selenium and fiber in brown rice helps in lowering down chances of colon cancer.
18. All the women who have crossed the menopause stage, generally complain high cholesterol level, cardiovascular ailment and high blood pressure problem. They must include brown rice in their diet in order to get relief from such ailments.
19. Brown rice is loaded with phytonutrients, that promote sound body, mind and soul.
20. The numerous anti-inflammatory compounds present in brown rice helps in reducing wheezing.
21. The glycemic index of brown rice is 55 compared to 75 in white of white rice. Now this helps in controlling obesity.
1. It is usually best to first soak the brown rice for 25 to 30 minutes before cooking. This helps in softening the bran layer on the rice.
2. Before cooking it is necessary to rinse the soaked rice under the cold running water. It is also necessary to check whether the dirt or debris are removed or present therein.
3. Cook one cup of rice in two cups of boiling water or broth. Once the liquid boils, turn down the heat and cover the container. Simmer the rice for 45 minutes.
Brown rice is not seen to have any negative effect on the body, including any allergic effect. It does not contain any significant amount of oxalates and purines. The inorganic brown rice contains traces o arsenic. Though low doses of arsenic are not seen to cause any serious diseases, its heavy intake can make one more susceptible to the risk of cancer. So, always go for the organically grown brown rice, as it is free of arsenic content.
The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids.
Thus, we can consider brown rice to be a complete balanced food.
After discovering such amazing facts I have geared up to quit white rice and switch over to brown rice.
What about you? ...
Author’s Brief Bio- Latika Bhojwani, is a Post Graduate in Management with Major Specialization in Marketing and Minor in Finance, presently working as a Free Lancer in a Shipping Agency, also practicing as a Reiki Healer and Tarot Card Reader. Her favorite pastime activities include Crystal Healing/Readings, Hypnosis, Reading, Travelling, Exploring Gadgets.