Colour... Colour.. Which Colour do you want? Wondering what I am talking about? I am Mrs. V.Manimozhi .I am going to tell you some very interesting and valuable things about BANANA.
Bananas come in a variety of sizes and colors like Green, yellow, purple, and red. "Banana" usually refers to soft, sweet "dessert" bananas. Many people confuse plantains with bananas. Plantains are a member of the banana family but they are firm, starchy and low in sugar.
Types of Bananas: There are many different varieties of Bananas. The most popular ones are-
Red Bananas: have a green/red peel and pink fruit flesh. They taste the same like yellow bananas. The redder a fruit, the more carotene it contains, so they are healthier than yellow bananas.
Fruit bananas: are the normal, yellow bananas, 15-30 cm.
Apple bananas: are smaller, 8-10 cm. and ripen faster. They are also yellow.
Baby bananas (Pisang Susa): is yellow as well and measures 6-8 cm. It is the sweetest of the banana family.
Baking bananas: are 30 to 40 cm. large and are green, yellow or red-like. They cannot be eaten raw. They fulfill the role of the potato in the tropical countries.
Nutritional facts: Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose - combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. There are 86 calories in a medium banana
Medicinal & Health Benefits of Banana:
Banana is an effective fruit for health benefits. The mixture of carbohydrates and vitamins present in banana helps an energy increase. The natural fiber in banana also gives to the many health benefits. Here are some important benefits of banana.
1. Vitamins and Minerals: Banana is high in Vitamin A which is important for development of tissue in eyes and growth of the skin. Vitamin B is also present which help in calming the nervous system.
2. Blood Pressure: Banana is a natural source of potassium, which is important for the human body as it helps in body’s fluid level, body cells and controlling blood pressure. It also improves a person's alertness
3. Intestinal Disorders and Ulcers: Banana is used as a dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and blandness. It also contains protease inhibitors that help to eliminate bacteria in the stomach and reduce acidity. Thus problem of ulcer reduces Ripe bananas are highly beneficial in the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
4. Anemia: Banana is rich in iron, which improves hemoglobin. Thus banana is ideal fruit for people who are suffering from Anemia.
5. Happiness: Bananas contain a type of protein called tryptophan that is converted into serotonin by our bodies. We all know serotonin is a substance that can induce relaxation, enhance mood, and generally make us happy.
6. Stress Relief: Bananas are high in potassium, which helps normalize the heartbeat and regulate the body's water balance. During periods of high stress, our body's potassium levels tend to rapidly deplete, eating bananas is a healthy way to rebalance them without using drugs
7. Constipation and Hemorrhoids: Banana is high in fiber; it is perfect remedy for constipation and hemorrhoids..
8. Smoking: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking, as it contains Vitamin C, A1, B6, B12 and potassium, which help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
9. Stroke: A regular intake of banana in your diet can help reduce the possibility of stroke by up to 40 percent
10. Heartburn: Bananas can act as a natural antacid. This gives relief to a person who is suffering from heartburn.
11. Kidney: daily consumption of bananas is highly valuable because of their low protein and salt content and high carbohydrate content. They are useful in all kidney troubles, nephritis and uremia.
12. Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood-sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
13. Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help to improve nerve function.
14. Dysentery: Mashed banana together with little salt is a very valuable remedy for dysentery.
15. Arthritis and Gout: Bananas are useful in the treatment of arthritis and gout. A diet of bananas only for three or four days is advisable in these conditions. The patient can be given to eat eight or nine bananas daily during this period and nothing else.
16. Allergies: The fruit is very useful for those who are allergic to certain foods and who suffer in consequence from skin rashes or digestive disorders or asthma. The fruit, however, does cause allergic reactions in certain sensitive persons and they should avoid it.
17. Hangovers: Banana is the natural solution. A banana milkshake mixed with honey will help to calm the stomach and build up depleted blood sugar levels at the same time.
18. Osteoporosis: Regular in take of bananas minimizes the loss of calcium from the body and thereby reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
19. Urinary Disorders: Juice from banana stem is a well-known remedy for urinary disorders. It improves the functional efficiency of kidney and liver thereby alleviating the discomforts and diseased condition in them. It clears the excretion organs in the abdominal region of toxins and helps to eliminate them in the form of urine. It has been found to be of great help in the treatment for the removal of stones in the kidney, gall bladder, and prostate. It is advisable to mix this juice whenever possible with the juice of ash pumpkin.
20. Over- weight: Bananas are suitable for overweight people as they contain practically no sodium. A diet consisting of bananas and skimmed milk is considered an effective remedy for weight reduction.
21. Menstrual Disorders: Cooked banana flower eaten with curd is considered an effective medicine for menstrual disorders like painful menstruation and excessive bleeding. Banana flower helps increase progesterone hormone which reduces the bleeding.
22. Burns and wounds: A plaster is prepared by beating a ripe banana into a fine paste. It can be spread over burns and wounds and supported by a cloth bandage. It gives immediate relief. The young tender leaves of banana tree form a cool dressing for inflammations and blisters.
23. Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
24. Growing Children: They are in fact often the first solid food given to infants. Bananas are easy to digest because they have no fat and very few babies are allergic to bananas. They are also one of children's favorite because of their taste and they meet the energy needs of the growing children.
25. Eye sight: Prolonged use of banana in daily life can restore the eyesight in person suffering from eye sight problem. It acts as a very good medicine and ensures better eyesight
26. Heart, Bones and Teeth: The Calcium in Banana protects the bones, teeth, nerves and muscles while magnesium promotes growth and normal respiration. Calcium and magnesium known as dolomite enable the heart to function properly.
Beauty and Banana:
1. Banana peel is a natural cosmetic as it is used to improve the texture and tone of the skin. A combination of mashed banana and honey with a few drops of lemon is used as face pack. Mashed banana with avocado and papaya also makes a very good face pack.
2. Apply ripe banana on the cracked and dry area of the feet. Skin becomes soft and the cracks disappear after sometime.
3. The inside of the banana skin when rubbed on a mosquito bite is found to reduce the swelling and irritation.
4. The skin of the banana is said to help remove warts (cover the warts with the inner skin of banana).
5. Mash 1/2 of a banana and apply on skin, relax for a half hour and then remove with cool water. Bananas are rich in oils, Vitamin A and Potassium that will keep the skin from drying out.
6. If you are looking for an exfoliating mask, blend a mashed banana with white cosmetic clay and apply. This mask is both moisturizing and nourishing.
7. For damaged hair, combine a ripe banana with a few drops of almond oil. Massage into your hair and then allow to work for about 15 minutes. Rinse with soda water and then shampoo and condition as usual.
8. For soft and smooth hands: Mash a banana with a little butter and then rub the mixture into your hands.
.9. Acne, blemishes, pimples and anti-ageing: Make a mix by mashed bananas with a tablespoon of milk, a pinch of nutmeg, a tablespoon of oatmeal and apply it on a clean face. Wash it once it is completely dry. Regular use helps to deal with acne, blemishes and pimples. The antioxidants and vitamins in bananas restore collagen in the skin and are useful for anti-ageing skin.
10. Dry, frizzy hair or flaky scalp, and dandruff: Make a mix by using 2 to 3 tablespoons of honey and 2 to 3 ripe mashed bananas. Before applying the mask wet your hair in the shower to provide moisture. Next, apply the mask over your hair making sure to massage the mix into each strand, the roots, and your scalp. After application wrap your hair in a towel, plastic wrap, or a shower cap. After thirty minutes, rinse, shampoo, and condition as usual.
11. Hair loss: Mash a ripe banana and mix it with a cup of fresh yogurt. Apply this paste on the scalp and leave it on the scalp for an hour. Then wash as usual.
Other uses of Bananas:
Banana is a very sacred tree and all parts of the tree are used for some purpose or the other. The fruit is used for making juice, chips, banana puree as the base for baby food, banana flour, powder and also alcohol. Apart from being a very important food product, banana products and by-products have other many different uses and applications- Banana fiber is used for handicraft and art in baskets, carpets and so on. The fiber is also used for the manufacturing of banana paper. Bananas which do not arrive to fulfill quality requirements for export are used for animal feeding. People use banana leaves for serving and packing food. Banana cultivation is used to give shade to other crops that need it, such are coffee or cocoa. The inner stem of the banana plant and flower is edible when cooked. Raw banana tastes yum when fried. Banana production areas can be shown for tourism interests. You can attract butterflies and various bird species to your backyard by putting out overripe bananas. It is said that worshiping the tree with flowers, fruit, etc. will help in the welfare of one's family. So let us GO BANANAS!
Author's brief Biodata: I am Mrs.ManiMozhi teacher by profession. I am good at conducting Quiz competitions, compering for school functions and Annual days. I love drawing and painting. I am a good cook. I am doing a diploma in counseling at present.