Potato is really a 'gift of God" as it is one of the world’s most nutrient dense foods. Potatoes are low in fat or virtually fat-free, packed with vitamins and minerals, absolutely free of cholesterol and if served in their skins, are great sources of fiber. Potatoes are a real nutritional powerhouse.
Add one jacket potatoes to your daily diet for all those nutritional benefits. It is a satisfying and inexpensive dish.
The potato skin is a concentrated source of dietary fiber, so to get the most nutritional value from this vegetable, don't peel it and consume both the flesh and the skin. If you must peel it, do so carefully with a vegetable peeler, only removing a thin layer of the skin and therefore retaining the nutrients that lie just below the skin.
Baked Potatoes as a very good source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber
A baked potato, or jacket potato is the edible result of baking a potato. When well cooked, a baked potato has a fluffy interior and a crispy skin. It may be served with fillings and condiments such as butter, cheese, ham, or chicken. As Vitamin C leaches into water while cooking or boiling, bake your potatoes if you want to get the most of these vitamins and mineral.
What if I tell you other benefits I am sure you will just get up and. start baking one for yourself soon.Hey what’s stoping me?
You continue reading to know more about the benefits of a Baked Potato while I go and bake one for myself...
1) HEALTHY FOOD: Half of the healthiest part of the potato is the peel. Leave that brown jacket on the potato, as it is Potato peels contain high concentrations of beneficial phenol acids. Cold potato salad made with vinegar dressing, stored it overnight in the fridge, and is the healthiest way to eat potatoes. A long chilling will increase the potatoes' resistant starch content by more than one third. The acid in the vinegar, whether you make it with citrus juice or vinegar, slows your digestion, allowing your stomach to more completely process the vegetables. This combination of cooled starch and acidic dressing results in a lower glycemic spike, which is healthier for your body.
2) ANTISEPTIC AND ANTIBACTERIAL AGENT: Phenols are aromatic compounds that have powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which may discourage the growth of cancer. Potatoes should be consumed in moderation with the peel included, because their carbohydrates can cause a spike your blood sugar levels. Cancer thrives on sugar..
3)APPETITE SUPRESSANT :You should eat complex carbohydrates such as potatoes, rather than simple carbohydrates like sugar or biscuits which give a short energy boost followed by hunger pangs,' she says. In this way, potatoes can help you reduce binge-eating.
4) CHEAP AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE: so it is an international culinary favorite
5) WEIGHT MAINTAINANCE: Everyone who is fitness conscious and hunts for the right food to maintain their body and weight will be pleased to know that a JACKET POTATO has many health benefits. Factually, after sugar, potato carbohydrates are great to keep your weight maintained. Since a cooked new potato has less than 30 calories combined with nutrients and proteins!
6)STOMACH AND INTESTINE AILMENTS: It is best to have the jacket potato with skin as that contains fiber carbohydrate which does not break down easily in your stomach hence it forces food quickly within the digestive system to get rid of waste quickly and effectively
7) KILLS THE FOOD CRAVE: It is best to have the jacket potato with skin as that contains fiber carbohydrate which does not break down easily in your stomach hence it forces food quickly within the digestive system to get rid of waste quickly and effectively. Plus, another benefit is that a JACKET POTATO is very filling so you will not feel hungry or crave for junk food which maintains your healthy diet!
8) SATIATY VALUE: Glycemic Index, which ranks carbohydrates from one to 100 according to how quickly they are broken down during digestion into basic glucose. Pure glucose scores 100. The lower the rank, the longer it takes for the food to be absorbed, and the longer we feel satiated after eating it. This is why a diet of low GI foods is recommended to those wanting to lose weight.
9) SOURCE OF ENERGY: Potatoes provide the body with an essential source of fuel and energy, which you need even when dieting. As a rich carbohydrate source, they help to fuel all reactions in the body which you need for movement, thinking, digestion and cellular renewal.
10) VITAMIN BOOSTER: Potatoes are eaten to fend off scurvy. Surprisingly rich in immune-boosting Vitamin C, a medium potato (150g) with the skin provides 27mg, almost half of the recommended daily intake. Potatoes are also a rich source of Vitamin B, foliate and minerals such as potassium, magnesium and iron. Potatoes are underground tubers, meaning that they store all the vitamins and minerals needed for growing new potato plants in spring. Super food: One new potato contains just 26 calories
11) BLOOD PRESSURE: There are blood-pressure lowering molecules in potatoes called kukoamines. Traditional Chinese Medicine uses a plant, Lyceum Chinese - which also contains kukoamines - as a tea to lower blood pressure so few good servings of potatoes a day would have some blood-pressure lowering activity.
12) CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE: A jacket Potato has 60 different kinds of photochemical and vitamins in potato skins. Many of these were flavonoids, which help protect against cardiovascular-disease by lowering levels of bad LDL-cholesterol and keeping arteries fat-free. The B vitamins in potatoes also protect arteries. Vitamin B6, found in potatoes, reduces levels of a molecule called homocysteine which is involved in inflammation and the furring up of arteries. High homocysteine levels are associated with a significantly increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
13)GUT HEALTH : A single baked potato will provide nearly 12 per cent of the daily recommended amount of fiber, giving similar levels to whole grain breads, pastas and cereals. High levels of dietary fiber and 'bulking agents' support healthy digestion and regular bowel movements, while giving a protective effect from colon cancer. While most potato fiber is found in the skin, some of the starch in potatoes is indigestible. Instead it passes through the gut intact, adding bulk. If you suffer from sluggish bowel movements, eat baked potatoes that have been cooled. The cooling process increases the amount of indigestible starch from seven per cent to 13 per cent.
14) STRESS: Potatoes are exceedingly rich in Vitamin B6, a substance needed for cellular renewal, a healthy nervous system and a balanced mood. Just 100g of baked potato contains 21 per cent of the daily value of the vitamin. It is used to make neurotransmitters --substances that deliver messages from one cell to the next. Neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine are needed for the regulation of mood and Vitamin B6 is needed to make them. It is also used to make adrenaline, hormones that help us respond to stress, and GABA, a substance linked to relaxation and a feeling of wellbeing. A single baked potato will provide nearly 12 per cent of the daily recommended amount of fiber
15) ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE: B6 is also necessary for the breakdown of glycogen, the form in which sugar is stored in our muscle cells and liver, so this vitamin is a key player in athletic performance and endurance. Carbohydrate food is the most efficient fuel for energy production and can also be stored as glycogen in muscle and liver, functioning as a readily available energy source for prolonged, strenuous exercise. For these reasons, carbohydrates may be the most important nutrient for sports performance. Depending on training intensity and duration, athletes require up to 4.5 grams of carbohydrates per day per pound of body weight or 60 to 70 percent of total dietary calories from carbohydrates, whichever is greater. Including starchy vegetables in the diet is one good way to obtain these carbohydrates.
16) BUILDING YOUR CELLS: High concentration of vitamin B6-a cup of baked potato contains 21.0% of the daily value for this important nutrient-the potato earns high marks as a health-promoting food.
17) A FULL MEAL: A baked potato in its skin contains more fiber than two slices of whole meal bread.
18) HELPS IN DIGESTION AILMENTS: Jacket potato with skin are the best source of fiber in vegetables .Because of the very effective elimination characteristics of it, it can help prevent such diseases as bowel cancer, piles, stop constipation which quite a lot of people suffer with, improve overall digestion, in less civilized countries where their diets are high in fiber they tend to have less diseases than their western counterparts have.
19)FIBEROUS NATURE: Fiber’s a carbohydrate which we are unable to break down quickly in our stomachs; this serves the purpose of pushing food more quickly through our digestive tract and eliminating waste far more effectively. Otherwise undigested food can reside in your stomach and will just sit and rot inside your stomach releasing toxins into your body
20) ANTIOXIDANTS: Potato skins store many nutrients and also contain a lot of fiber, which is essential for a healthy diet. Leaving the potato skins on also helps preserve the nutrients in the flesh of the potato, which have a tendency to escape during cooking. Potato skins also contain a variety of phytonutrients, which are a natural source of antioxidants that help to prevent cellular deterioration of the body.
Taking into consideration the above potato facts nutritionists and dietary researchers recommend potatoes for A BALANCED DIET. It is safe to conclude that instead of worrying about baked potato calories, it would be better if you include baked potato with skin in your regular diet in proper proportions. If you choose low fat versions of other ingredients which you want to add to a baked potato, calories in a baked potato should not affect your health.
The author of this article, Priti Pasricha, is an experienced Academician and Counselor. She has been acting as a bridge between Teacher-Child-Parent Counseling for the past many years. She is a professionally trained n qualified Primary Teacher and for the past few years she has been working as a Centre Head with an Internationally reputed Chain of Primary Schools based at Delhi. Besides her academic interest, she's an explorer and a keen learner of the world around her with music and reading as her PASSION.