Hello all my readers. I am Akshaya Kawle and in this article I would be briefly discussing 25 benefits of Apricots.
Apricots are golden stone fruits with hard kernels (seeds) inside. Apricots resemble peaches; however, they are smaller in size and have a smoother skin as compared to peaches. They are native to eastern Asia, but are now also grown extensively in other parts of the world like the Middle East, around the Mediterranean, and in the United States, especially California. They are believed to have been originated in China, where it has been cultivated for over 4000 years.
Apricots are acidic in nature. However, as they ripen, the acidity decreases, and the sugar content increases. Also, they are a favorite of almost every age group, in almost all the parts of the world.
In most cases, Apricots are consumed as dry fruits, in festivities and occasions. However, very few people actually understand the nutritional value this little fruit can provide us. While researching for this article, I was amazed at how many things this small wonder called Apricot was great at.
Greek physicians, since the olden times have regarded Apricots as food medicine, while the Roman dedicated it to Venus, the Goddess of Love.
So without increasing your curiosity any further, let me share some amazing facts about Apricots and their benefits!
1. Despite their tiny size, apricots prove to be a Dieters Delight. Apricots are high on insoluble fiber, which absorbs water and helps you have a feeling of fullness. Apricots are also low in fats, especially saturated fats. This contributes to aid weight loss. So all you people there wanting to lose some pounds, go get your daily dose of some fresh apricots.
2. Along with insoluble fiber, apricots are high on soluble fiber as well, which help reduce blood cholesterol levels. This lets you have a healthy heart and reduces the chances of cardio vascular diseases.
3. Fresh Apricots are rich in natural sugars such as Vitamin A, and calcium. Vitamin A promotes good vision. It helps in reducing the risks of cataract, and other eye problems. A regular intake of apricots provides for healthy vision, healthier eyes, reducing the chances of eye diseases.
4. The high Vitamin content also helps reduce skin disorders, removal of skin pimples, and other skin ailments. Apricots have therefore been one of the major ingredients in traditional Chinese cosmetics. Even today, most natural cosmetic companies use apricots in their cosmetics. I am sure a lot of youngsters would want to add apricots in their daily intake now!
5. The Vitamin A in apricots also helps in reducing fatigue and releasing stress. So if one has to include the intake of apricots regularly, it will lead to a healthy life style, and also increase your ability to handle stressful situations. I am sure this is a must in today’s world of cut throat neck to neck competition.
6. Apricots contain Vitamin B12, which help in the normal functioning of the brain, nervous system, and helps in the formation of blood.
7. Apricot juice can be applied on skin areas affected with scabies, sun burns, itchy skin, and rashes due to cold exposure for quick relief. They are also used in various medicines for their medicinal purposes for this reason. Even consumption of dry apricots can be effective in healing these skin problems.
8. Apricots also contain high amounts of iron. Thus it makes for an excellent intake for anemia sufferers. Also it aids in the production of hemoglobin in the body, if apricots are consumed in liberal quantities. This helps women in stabilizing their hemoglobin after menstrual cycles, especially after heavy flow. It is also advised to women just gone through their deliveries to consume apricots to retain their hemoglobin levels.
9. Apricots are also considered as a healthy food to be consumed by the ‘to be mothers’ during pregnancy. It serves as a healthy snack, both for the mother as well as the baby.
10. Fresh Apricots are high on Vitamin C, another anti oxidant which helps our body absorb iron. Since they are high on iron and potassium contents, they help in proper muscle and nerve function, maintain blood pressure, and balance the body fluids. It effectively helps in providing for a healthy lifestyle.
11. Apricots are high on mineral content which helps in reducing the risks of diseases like tuberculosis, asthma, as well as anemia.
12. They contains Lycopene, a bright red carotene pigment and phytochemical. It also contains beta carotene. Both these ingredients help in deactivating harmful free radicals which are responsible for various diseases including cancer. Therefore, adding apricots to your daily intake can reduce the risks of cancer.
13. Apricots can act as a de-worming agent, as they help in destroying intestinal worms. Children are therefore advised to include apricots in their daily meals to reduce worming problems. Wow no more yucky de worming tablets!
14. A blend of apricots, honey, and mineral water can effectively help in eliminating the waste products from the body. This has a cooling affect on the body and helps in cooling down fevers.
15. Apricots are gentle laxatives, and therefore prove very good in the treatment of constipation problems. This is because they contain cellulose and pectin. Cellulose helps in smooth bowel movement, while pectin helps to absorb and retain water. Regular and liberal intake of apricots can thus prove to be beneficial to people suffering from constipation.
16. Apricots have an alkaline reaction in our digestive system. Therefore, an apricot before meals help improve our digestion. It serves as a natural digestive, along with all the other benefits that it provides.
17. Apricots have the ability to boost your nervous system. It thus helps people with physical or mental fatigue, people suffering from depression, insomnia, or stress. It is an effective tool in the hands of counselors and psychotherapists to handle their clients and try reduce their stress levels.
18. Apricot oil has a calming effect on your mind and body. It also leaves a pleasant smell. It is therefore used for body massages in Aromatherapy.
19. The nut of the apricot is also as beneficial as the fruit itself. It is rich in proteins. The nut also contains 40% to 45% of oil, which is similar to almond oil in its physical, as well as chemical properties.
20. The oil of the apricot nut can be used as a hair oil to promote hair growth, for more lustrous hair. One teaspoon of apricot nut oil also enhances our immunity system.
21. Apricot oil is considered a great remedy for ear ache.
22. Dried Apricots helpful for thyroid patients as they help control the thyroid levels in the body.
23. Consumption of Apricots can help reduce the blood sugar levels. It is therefore very useful for people suffering from Diabetes.
24. Apricots help in preventing hypertension, on account of the good potassium content. Hypertension is the cause of various other diseases as well. So by just having regular intake of apricots, it will not only help reduce hypertension, but also all the other related ailments.
25. And finally, not to forget apricots serve as a delicious treat for our taste buds. They are not only one of the best snacks, but also convenient in terms of size as well as the availability all over the world.
So the next time you shop, do not forget to get home the bountiful benefits in small sized dynamite called ‘Apricots’. You name it, and they take care of it. Your entire body and mind reaps the benefits.
Just a word of caution. Even though Apricots provide you plenty of reasons to consume them regularly, remember to have them in adequate quantities. Do not forget the law of nature. Anything in excess is inappropriate.
So enjoy your daily intake of Apricots and the benefits that come along. Wishing all of you a healthy way of living!
Authors Brief Bio: Akshaya Kawle is a Bachelor of Arts with Political Science Majors, is currently pursuing her MBA (HR), and is a professional swimmer and dancer. A keen learner, she is also pursuing a course on Counseling and Graphology. When not working on her various hobbies like driving, interacting with people, and spending time with family and her pets, she volunteers for an NGO for stray animals.