Almonds are my all time favorite. You will understand why I am telling that way, after you read this article.
I am Mrs.V. Manimozhi writing this article about the Benefits of Almonds. I hope you enjoy reading this for the next few minutes.
Specialty of Almond:
Almonds are one of the amazing wonder foods provided by nature .This small nut packs a powerhouse of nutrients that we need in our daily diet. It is categorized under super food. A Super food is generally considered to be a food that is particularly nutritious or otherwise beneficial to your health and overall wellness.
Types of Almonds:
Almonds come in two varieties, sweet and bitter. Usually, sweet almonds are edible and bitter almonds are used to make almond oil, which is used to add flavor to food. Bitter almonds contain a toxic amount of prussic acid, which can be further refined into a poison called cyanide. Consuming a handful of unprocessed, raw bitter almonds can lead to death from this poison.
General benefits of Almonds:
1. Almond is rich in Vitamin E which is antioxidant that can help to reduce the chance of heart attack. Other than this Almond contains protein and potassium which is good for heart.
2. Almonds are low in saturated fat which help in preventing cancer. Being high in natural fiber,it improves the movement of food through the colon, thereby preventing colon cancer.It is an excellent source of vitamin E, phytochemicals and flavonoids which suppress the growth of breast cancer cells. It is also rich source of boron which helps to prevent prostate cancer.
3. Vitamins and minerals present in almonds are good for development of healthy brain.
4. Iron and magnesium which are present is useful for treatments of anemia.
5. Almond contains calcium and magnesium which is helpful in strengthening of bones, teeth and muscles. It also prevents osteoporosis. It also provides other nutrients that help to increase the bone mineral density, which helps to strengthen the skeletal system.
6. Regular intake of almonds reduces the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol in the body.
7. Almond contains lots of fiber, which is good for the digestion system and avoids constipation problem.
8. Potassium in almond is helpful to control the blood pressure.
9. Almonds also control blood sugar.
10. Almonds improve blood circulation.
11. The high potassium and low sodium contents in almonds, both are factors that regulate blood pressure.
12. The high level of magnesium in almonds has a very positive effect on our arteries and veins and helps to improve the overall flow of nutrients through our bodies.
13. Almonds also contain iron, which helps carry oxygen to all the body cells and organs.
14. Almonds have high fiber content, protein and the good type of fat. Studies have revealed that almond rich low calorie diet is good for obese people to assist in shedding their weight.
15. Almonds are good for diabetic people as it has a low Glycemic index (GI) food. When eaten with a high GI food, it helps in reducing the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals.
16. A study confirms people eating at least 5 almonds a day have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones.
17. Almonds are energy booster. The nutrients present in almonds like Protein, Manganese, Copper and Riboflavin are all used to generate energy in our body. An almond chocolate or an energy bar is a must if you are always on the move.
18. Almond is a source of many nutrients which helps in BRAIN DEVELOPMENT Ayurveda recommends having 5 soaked almonds in the morning everyday for maximum brainpower. Phenylalanine, a brain-boosting chemical present in almond, aids healthy development of our cognitive functions.
19. Almonds provide one of the best plant sources of protein which is high in quality and highly absorbable.
20. Omega 3s, which are good for your brain and immune system are present in almonds. These fatty acids are the “good fats.” Lots of attention is given lately for their natural health benefits.
21. Almonds contain folic acid, a proven defense against birth defects. Folic acid plays a big role in healthy cell growth and tissue formation, and therefore is very important for the healthy growth of the fetus.
Benefits of Almond oil:
There are many other uses of almond oil. Following are some health benefits of almond oil.
22. Consuming almond oil is beneficial for digestive system.
23. When almond oil is used in aromatherapy it has calming and cleansing effects.
24. Almond oil also releases pain. It is used as an effective painkiller.
25. Regular consumption of almond oil helps reduce cholesterol.
26. Consumption of almond oil nourishes the brain and nervous system, it also enhances intellectuality and endurances.
27. Application of almond oil provides relief to strained muscles.
28. Almond oil also possesses laxative properties and helps to produce soft stools and avoid any constipation.
Remedies with Almonds:
29. Grind 5 pieces of almonds and make a paste with sugar. It will remove cough.
30. If one wants to increase weight, soak 12 almonds overnight and grind them to paste in the morning, mix it with butter and sugar to make sandwich with bread. Eat like this for six months.
31. To improve eyesight make a paste of 5 almonds soaked in water and mix with warm milk in the morning and drink it for few months.
32. Eating almonds regularly will strengthen sexual power and restore sexual vigor.
33. External application of almond oil in case of irritation or itching will ease the pain.
34. A teaspoon of almond oil with few drops of fresh white onion juice, ginger juice, taken thrice daily for a fortnight is useful in whooping cough, bronchitis and asthma.
35. One avoids the risk of Alzheimer’s disease by regularly consuming almonds.
36. An earache can be treated at home with almond oil. A quarter teaspoon of warm almond oil is poured right down the affected ear and the ear is plugged with cotton wool to keep the oil warm and prevent the oil from seeping out. The oil can be warmed by placing the container of almond oil in warm water. Check the temperature of the oil before using it in a person's ear.
37. Almond as a cure for Jaundice: Soak overnight 6 almonds, 3 small cardamoms + 2 dry dates in a earthen pot and grind in morning with 70 g sugar crystals +50 g butter. Give it to patient and it will clear urine in 3 days.
38. Babies who have lactose intolerance, can be given a mixture of powdered almonds mixed with warm water, which provides nutrition as milk.
39. Massaging babies with almond oil rather than dry massage has more calming effects on the babies. A research from the Touch Research Institute states that infants showed fewer stress behaviors and lower stress hormones following a massage with almond oil.
Benefits of Almond in enhancing beauty:
40. A massage of Almond oil mixed with Indian gooseberry (amla) juice can prevent hair loss. It also prevents graying and thinning of hair. It also helps if you have dandruff.
41. An almond face pack prevents dry skin, pimples and black heads and is a good long term cure for acne. It also improves skin complexion and premature aging. It nourishes the skin making it smooth and soft.
42. Face pack made from almond paste mixed with milk cream and rose bud paste is an effective beauty aid. - Prevents premature appearance of wrinkles, black heads, pimples and dry skin.
43. Almond oil can help smoothes wrinkles and improved complexion because it is rich in unsaturated fats and essential fatty acids.
44. When almond oil is applied topically, it helps with the dry and damaged skin as the oil reduces water loss and improves the skin's water binding ability.
45. Almond oil is also rich in vitamin K that helps improve skin discoloration and reduces the appearance of dark circles.
46. Fatty acid in almond oil helps the cellular membrane to maintain the skin's elasticity and reduces the roughness in the skin.
47. The best part is almond oil does not leave your skin oily, does not clog the pores and is suitable for all skin types.
48. Massaging your scalp with almond oil adds shine to the hair, nourishes hair and smoothes hair cuticles, Makes hair long, strong and thick and controls hair fall.
49. Rub almond oil directly into the scalp for natural hair care. It acts as deep conditioner and prevents breakage and split ends.
50. Almond paste serves as an excellent Exfoliator. Soak few almonds for a few hours, and then grind them. Make a paste of the ground almonds with milk or rose water and use it as a face scrub.
Almonds in cuisine:
Almonds are widely used in a variety of dishes like sweets, snacks, savories, tidbits, curries and deserts. Chefs of India use it widely for the texture difference and crunch in their exotic and rich preparations. Whose mouth will not water, when I say “Badam Halwa” It is also a favorite ingredient for most chocolate makers as the crunchiness of almond nuts and rich smoothness of chocolate make the most delectable food items ever. Almonds are also becoming increasingly popular among bakers. The classic French pastry industry has also used these nuts in their exotic preparations for ages. It is also widely consumed along with breakfast cereals and milk by millions across the world.
Now I think everyone who has read this article will agree with me. Almond has super food qualities and is one of the amazing wonder foods provided by nature. In ancient times sweet almond was considered as a healing food and praised for increasing vitality, improving skin complexion and body's capabilities to resist intoxication. So do remember to soak few almonds and have them each morning. So it is apt to say “Few almonds a day keeps Doctor away”
Come on let’s go Nuts on Almonds and stay healthy.
Authors brief Biodata: I am Mrs.ManiMozhi teacher by profession. I am good at conducting Quiz competitions, compering for school functions and Annual days. I love drawing and painting. I am a good cook. I am doing a diploma in counseling at present.